Friday, December 13, 2013

Event #3: Natural History Museum

On December 6, I visited the Natural History Museum and it is now my favorite museum in Los Angeles. Even though the day was a bit gloomy, my day was made better by the free entrance I received! Yay on saving money~ Since I have always been interested in nature and grew up watching Animal Planet, I had a great time.

Walking into the museum, the first thing to catch your eye are the dinosaurs. Their bones (both real and artificial) were carefully put together to form the entire bodies or portions of prehistoric species. Archeology is both a science and an art. Archeologists uncover the oldest fossils and the very nature of bone fossilization is fascinating. As fossils get trapped in between rock strata and the more stata layered the more heat and pressure is applied to the remains. Bacteria degrades the organism and the bone begins to fossilize. I can only imagine that building the dinosaur form is both tedious and time consuming.





 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
After learning all about dinosaurs, I passed a beautiful garden, learned about old car models, significant cultural  events and reached the bird exhibit. There was one part in this exhibit that caught my attention: the rainforest. With the dim lighting and clear sound system, I really felt like I was walking through the rain forest. There were trees placed everywhere with vines covering it's trunks, along with exotic flowers, and fake birds sitting at the ledges. I was about to go up the stairs to see more of the rain forest, but it was so dark and felt so real that I walked out quickly! Their use of technology was so spot on, the only thing they were missing was a waterfall and humidity. 


 
My favorite part in the entire museum were the diorama halls of the wild animals from different parts of the world. The exhibits had so much detail and were arranged to depict real life movements. They had realistic terrain, other animals, and had a realistic background that made you feel like you were the one being placed in their natural habitat. The exhibit was truly artistic and blew my mind away. I'm pretty sure my jaw dropped when I first walked in. The entire museum was beautifully designed and I had a great adventure.
 


 
 
 
 








http://www.nhm.org/site/

No comments:

Post a Comment